1. The government of Fiji has introduced some of its service online to assist its citizen both locally and abroad to access some of its information and resources.
2. The aim of this write up is to explain the online public services in Fiji which I made use of and how it works.
3. The write up will be presented under the following sub-headings:
- Online application for Birth certificate; and
Online birth certificate application
4. The online application for birth certificate is under the Birth Death Marriage (BDM) registry. The BDM is covered under the Laws of Fiji Cap 49 and 50 which are fully responsible for all matters regarding the registration of marriage, births and deaths in Fiji.
5. Within the BDN online registry, Fiji citizens can obtained services for the following:
- Birth Certificate application;
- Marriage Certificate application;
- Special License to Marry application; and
- Death certificate application
6. As of the scope of this write up, I will be based only on the procedure of making application for a birth certificate which I have the experience of using the service.
7. On the application of the birth certificate the following details of the person requesting a birth certificate is needed:
a. First name of the applicants;
- Last name;
- Date of birth;
- Father’s name;
- Mother’s name;
- Place of birth;
- Province (there is a total of 15 provinces in Fiji); and
- District (provinces are made up of a number of districts)
8. In addition to the persona details of the applicants, the following are also required in regards to the application:
- Number of copies required;
- Delivery mode (either courier or counter collection);
- Address of delivery if required delivery; and
- Option of Apostille stamp
9. The cost per copy is FJ$2.30 and an additional FJ$5.00 is charged if required delivery. At present the online payment through credit cards is not yet available.
10. Once the application is submitted, an application ID will be given to assist in any inquiry in regards to the application. The Fiji government ITC service will also send you an email in regards to the status of your application as it processed further.
11. Also at the applicants account with the Fiji e-gov online service My Case page can be viewed for the progress of the application.
12. The Fiji E-Gov online service is available to all citizens for available online services. Registration is free and once registered as a business user or citizen user; you can enjoy the service provided.
13. From personal experience, e-government service provided by the Fiji government has been very effective and efficient. With the current ICT service in Fiji, the reaction time for any complaints or service needed has been greatly improved in comparison with the manual methods.
14. The upgrading of ITC services in Fiji migrating to 4G, more service will be provided online and the payment of service through credit cards will surely be an advantage to both business and citizen users.” – Laisiasa Tagicakiverata – Suva, Fiji