“To appreciate whole –of–Government and understand its ability the this approach can be defined as government organization start sharing objectives with other organizations and collaboratively perform decisions instead of taking unanimous decisions.
Integration of services which results in reduction of time and resource utilization and thereby increasing the citizens trust in the government. Increase the efficiency and effectiveness of government responses which reduces redundancy in process flow.
E-Government is the use of Information Communication Technology to enhance the performance of government services through E-Governance thereby reducing corruption and difficulties in providing the services by removing by any existing hurdles if any. Increasing the transparency in governance and gain trust of citizens on the government.
Listed below few advantages of adopting e-government:
- Promote effective disaster management by going Green (use of paper is reduced in e-governance since digital data’s are being used). Hence if e-papers (pdf and word documents) is used requirement of paper gets reduced.
- Increase transparency through e-tender, e-auction, e-procurement, e-registry which leads to corruption free process flow.
- Provides better access and quality of services.
- People of vulnerable situations will start to use government services easily leading to social inclusion.
Listed below Difficulties faced without e-governance in governments:
- Long queues in government offices to obtain the services (eg to receive caste, income certificates verification and collection of these documents take huge time.)
- Must travel long distances to avail services.
Steps to promote whole of government through e-government:
- To develop citizen friendly portals and websites(if required multilingual also can be taken into account)
- Provide Links to various ministries and institutions
- Promote use of e-services.
- Provide citizen charter in government departmental websites.
- Promotion of E-participation of the citizens is the basis of socially inclusive governance.
E-participation is electronic participation of citizens and the business community in e-government. The aim of e-participation initiatives should be to improve the citizen’s access to information and public services; and promote participation in public decision-making which impacts the well being of society, in general, and the individual, in particular.
The three main components of the E-participation is as follows
- E-decision-by increasing the input of citizen in decision making through e-services.
- E-consultation –for enhancing deliberative and participatory process.
E-information-increasing information seeking of citizens made online by making information available online through websites, portals and forums.” – Prabhu Djeapragassam – Puducherry, India