“Bahrain e-Government Portal (bahrain.bh) is the official and main online portal, where the majority of the public sector organizations and a number of private sector organizations are providing their services through. The project is mainly administrated by the Kingdom of Bahrain e-Government Authority.
The vision of e-Government Authority in the Kingdom of Bahrain is:
“Achieve next generation Government excellence by delivering high quality services effectively, valuing efficiency, advocating proactive customer engagement, nurturing entrepreneurship, collaborating with all stakeholders and encouraging innovation” 
The main targets of the e-Government Authority are:
- Foreign Visitors
Due to the increase of popularity of the social media in the Kingdom of Bahrain, the e-Government Authority established multiple social media channels aiming to increase the efficiency and improve the effectiveness of services provided to the targeted categories.
The main social media channels referring to the Bahrain e-Government Portal are:
- Facebook: is an online social networking service which enable users to get connected with friends round the world, making new connections, upload pictures and share videos and links. Referring to Alexa , facebook comes in the second place after “google.com” in the list of the top 500 sites on the web and according to eBizMBA Guide , Facebook came on the first place in the list of Top 15 Most Popular Social Networking Sites for February 2014. In Bahrain, Facebook considered as the most popular social networking website.
- YouTube: is a video-sharing website which enable users to upload, view and share videos. Referring to Alex, YouTube comes in the third place in the list of the top 500 sites on the web.
- Twitter: is an online social networking and micro-blogging service that enables users to post and read short messages (tweets). Referring to Alex, Twitter comes in the 11th place in the list of the top 500 sites on the web and according to eBizMBA Guide, Twitter came on the second place after Facebook in the list of Top 15 Most Popular Social Networking Sites for February 2014.
- Instagram: is an online photo-sharing, video-sharing and social networking service that enables its users to upload pictures and videos, apply filters to them, and share them on other social networking services. According to eBizMBA Guide, Instegram came on the seventh place in the list of Top 15 Most Popular Social Networking Sites for February 2014. Instagram is one of the most popular social networking services in Bahrain.
- Linkedin: is an online social networking service which is targeting the professionals category. According to Alex, Linkedin comes in the 10th place in the list of the top 500 sites on the web.
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication): it is used to keep users informed by retrieving the latest updates from the sites they are interested in. Instead of visiting the site more frequently just for the purpose of checking for new updates, the user will receive automatic alerts of the updates that have been added to that specific site. The main benefit here is to keep the user updated.
- eGovernment Blog: the blog service was initiated as a platform for direct interaction between the public sector organizations and the public in order to receive comments and opinions about governmental policies and initiatives.
In my point of view, the activated social media channels added the following benefits:
- Enabled open and transparent communication channels with the public.
- Improved communication with public in cost efficient manner.
- Targeted a wide range of audience in an effective way.
Recently, the e-Government Authority started focusing on services via smart devices and started developing application for multiple systems including:
- Windows Mobile
 Kingdom of Bahrain e-Government Authority Portal, “http://www.ega.gov.bh”.
 Alexa –The Web Information Company, “http://www.alexa.com”.
 “Top 15 Most Popular Social Networking Sites | February 2014”, eBizMBA Guide, “http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/social-networking-websites”.” – Khalifa Ahmed – Isa Town, Kingdom of Bahrain