“Result Based Monitoring and Evaluation system
Results-based monitoring and evaluation system is a powerful management tool that can be used to help policymakers and decision makers track progress and demonstrate the impact of a given project, program or policy. Results-based M&E differs from traditional implementation-focused M&E in that it moves beyond an emphasis on inputs and outputs to a greater focus on outcomes and impacts. The implementation approach focuses on monitoring and assessing how well a project, program, or policy is being executed. However, this approach does not provide policymakers, managers, and stakeholders with an understanding of the success or failure of that project, program, or policy. Results-based M&E systems are designed to address the “so what” question.
Potential users of the RBM&E system
My organization is a major international humanitarian agency delivering broad-spectrum emergency relief and long-term international development projects hence a great beneficiary to a well implemented RBME. The organization management and the specific project management teams are the potential users of the RBM&E system. The information generated from the systems is important to all the departments and staffs in the organization. The uses of the systems pursue this because useful information it can generate. A functioning M&E system provides a continuous flow of information that is useful both internally and externally. The internal uses come into play as the information from the M&E system is used as a crucial management tool for managers in achieving results and meeting specific targets. The external use is mainly by outside stakeholders who are expecting results and wanting to see demonstrable impacts from an action.
Values of RBME
- RBME can help managers identify program weaknesses and take action to correct them. An M&E strategy can be used to diminish fear within an organization and can instead devise ways of instilling an open atmosphere in which people can learn from mistakes, make improvements, and create knowledge along the way.
- It can aid in promoting greater transparency and accountability within organizations and governments. Beneficial spillover effects may also occur from shining a light on results. External and internal stakeholders will have a clearer sense of the status of projects, programs, and policies. The ability to demonstrate positive results can also help garner greater political and popular support.
- The system provides valuable Information on progress, problems, and performance. This information is key to managers striving to achieve results. Likewise, the information from an M&E system is important to outside stakeholders and especially donors who are expecting results, wanting to see demonstrable impacts from an action. The systems can help identify potentially promising programs or practices.
- The RBM&E systems can also provide continuous feedback in the management process of monitoring and evaluating progress toward a given goal. In this context, they promote organizational learning. Access to information is an essential component of a successful development strategy.
- Some organizations and the management have pursued result based monitoring and evaluation because it can provides a more robust basis for raising funds and influencing policy.” – Edgar Indasi – Nairobi, Kenya